HPE is proud of our achievements and contribution to England’s HIV prevention efforts during the past five years. Our work has focused on three key areas:
- Social marketing
- Local activation
- Sector engagement and professional development
Social marketing highlights
- Opportunities to see: over 900 million opportunities to see our campaigns.
- Press and PR: coverage in 5k+ press articles.
- Website: 1.2 million visits resulting in 730k uses of website tools that include tools to check when one should test for HIV, choose the right condom or find out if they might benefit from PrEP.
- Campaign recognition: average of 81% for gay and bisexual men (GBM), and 59% for people of Black African ethnicity (BA).
- Motivation to act: 76% GBM and 70% BA said they were motivated to act and take an action as a result of HPE campaigns.
- Took action: 81% GBM and 59% BA reported taking an action as a result of HPE campaigns.
- Self-sampling kits: HPE is responsible for the promotion of PHE’s self-sampling programme. 126,838 kit orders (68% GBM, 7% BA heterosexuals and 24% other population groups). Returned kits had a 0.84% reactivity rate.
- National HIV Testing Week: established national HIV testing as a key calendar event for the HIV response in England.
- Overall Innovation Award: BMA Patient Information Awards.
- Best Practice Paper: European Social Marketing Conference.
Supporting social marketing activities:
- 31 Local Activation partners
- One-to-one information and advice: 75k people seen (39k GBM and 32K BA).
- Community HIV testing: 16.4K tests (8k GBM and 5.4k BA).
Sector engagement and professional development
- More than 400 organisations got involved in HPE campaigns annually.
- 20 professional development events held, including the HIV Prevention England Conference with more than 900 participants from the HIV sector.
- Stakeholder engagement strategies developed with key stakeholders:
- GP Engagement Strategy
- Faith Engagement Strategy.